Spring is Finally Here!

It’s absolutely beautiful weather today. Perfect even. Seventy something degrees, blue skies and no clouds. I just got back from lunch. I was just going to walk to the nearest kimbab joint, but as soon as I got outside I knew  wanted to go for a drive, so I went and had sundae gukbab just to have an excuse to drive my scooter. It’s that nice outside.

My stitches are healing nicely. I suppose they won’t have to amputate anything. I’ve been going back to the clinic near daily to get the bandage changed and a shot, though yesterday when I went they said I didn’t need the shots anymore, which I was glad to hear. After a week of getting a shot in the same small area, it was getting a little sore. The last time I got a shot, the nurse told me to massage the area, at home even. I wanted to say “Oh, you don’t have to tell me to massage my ass while I’m home alone, sister” but I’m not sure how accurately I could translate that into Korean. Instead, I just nodded.

This past week or two, my kindergarteners have really started reading. They could kind of read before, but mostly just short vowel sound words that aren’t hard or really, really common words that they’re used to seeing all the time, like school words. Now we’ve been learning long vowel patterns in our phonics class, like Silent E, vowel+E (ae, ee, ie, oe, ue), OA, etc… It’s really amazing to see kids learn how to read. I can now give them words they’ve never seen before and they can sound it out.  I’m really proud of them.

Friday with my oldest class was pretty bad. Not because they were too rowdy or anything, but they were all pretty depressed. Almost all of them had mid-terms on Friday, and we had our weekly vocab, as well, which only two students did anywhere near well on. They were all just pretty cranky. I felt bad for one girl. She said she wanted to stop coming to Kid’s College because taking the English class made her feel retarded. Literally, those were her words (we learn fun vocabulary). I had to assure her that it was okay. I knew they were busy studying for their mid-terms, lots of kids missed class because of holidays, and that she still speaks better English than a lot of my Korean friends in college or that have graduated.

I joined a gym this week, so after I finish this, I’ll probably head there. It’s not too bad there. I’ve never lifted weights before, so I’m a bit sore, but actually doing it isn’t as hard as I imagined. I’m also running, which I have never ever enjoyed, but I’m surprising myself with how far/long I can run, compared to what I could do before.

Friday I went to Suwon for a Hash. I was too sore from the gym, so I decided not try bother with running the trail and just had a nice walk to the finish. Apparently it was a bitch of a trail. I guess it went up a mountain, then said “You’ve been fucked” so you had to run back to the bottom, then ran you right back up the mountain a different direction. I would’ve been a little pissed about that. So, I got to the finish with a group of three other guys, and we just started drinking. It was nearly an hour before the first runners came in. That’s one bitch of a trail.

We drank until midnight, then most people decided they wanted to go home or something, which surprised me, so I spent the night in Suwon eating and drinking some more, then got a love motel with some people and just crashed. When I woke up, I felt like shit. Terrible sore throat and cough and such. Thursday and Friday I could feel a cold coming on, and it hit me all at one Saturday morning.

I had planned on Hashing again Saturday on an island off the coast of Incheon, but I wasn’t feeling up to it. What usually happens is that I feel like shit in the morning and get slowly better all day, then next day wake up even more sick. I decided to just stay in Cheonan and keep it low key. Went to an open mic at Banana Bar to see some friend’s play, but left pretty soon after they finished. Sure enough, when I woke up this morning I felt even worse. I’m okay now, but I can imagine waking up after a night of hard drinking and having to journey a couple hours home would’ve made my morning even less enjoyable.

In two weeks I’m heading to the east coast for a weekend on the beach, which I couldn’t be looking forward to more. It’s just gonna be like a real small group, maybe only four guys, but it’ll be nice to just hang out on the beach and have some fun. I don’t think I’ve been to the beach since my summer vacation last year when I toured down the east coast.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: